Saturday May 26 – Wonderful Rescue

Young Israeli man rescues Turk on top of Mt Everest this past week!  He carries him nine hours to the nearest base camp.

This is a wonderful story of a life that was just saved.   This rescue happened one week ago and is so similar to the story of the Good Samaritan.  Someone stops to help someone in need.  What makes it even more special is that a young Israeli man sacrifices his bid to reach the top of Mt Everest in order to save the life of a climber who happens to be a Turk.  He recognized the Turk as someone he’d met at the Base Camp.  Read and be blessed.  Luke 10:25-37  The Parable of the Good Samaritan

The Times of Israel

‘He was waiting for the end’ — Israeli climber describes how he saved Turkish friend on Everest

Both men say they still want to conquer the mountain, perhaps together

By and May 23, 2012, 7:44 pm 1

Nadav Ben Yehuda, the Israeli mountaineer who on Saturday halted his ascent of Mount Everest 300 meters from the peak to save an unconscious Turkish climber, said on Wednesday that he still hoped to make it to the summit one day. And the climber he saved, Aydin Irmak, said he hoped they’d do it together.

Israeli mountain climber Nadav Ben Yehuda with Aydin Irmak, the Turkish climber he rescued on Mount Everest at the weekend. (Photo credit: Channel 2 screen capture)

Israeli mountain climber Nadav Ben Yehuda with Aydin Irmak, the Turkish climber he rescued on Mount Everest at the weekend. (Photo credit: Channel 2 screen capture)

Speaking to Israel’s Channel 2 news from Nepal, Ben Yehuda, 24, a law student from Rehovot who would have become the youngest Israeli to summit the world’s highest mountain, described how he had revived Irmak — who he said he knew before — and carried him down the mountain.

“I’d passed two fresh corpses,” Ben Yehuda said, “when I found him. He was unconscious. He had no gloves. No oxygen. No crampons. No cover… He was waiting for the end,” Ben Yehuda told Channel 2.

Ben Yehuda said he was certain he would have made it to the summit. But “if I had continued climbing, (Irmak) would have died for certain. Other climbers just passed him by and didn’t lift a finger, but I had no second thoughts. I knew that I had to save him,” Yedioth Ahronoth quoted Ben Yehuda saying.

Ben Yehuda said he tied Irmak to his harness and began the descent — about a nine-hour journey to the nearest base. “It was very hard to carry him because he was heavy. At times he would gain consciousness, but then faint again. When he woke up he would scream in pain, which made it even more difficult,” he told Yedioth Ahronoth.

Irmak told the newspaper that, without Ben Yehuda, “I would have died on the mountain. It was a miracle… I remember falling down. I woke up with Nadav standing over me and shouting my name. Nadav did a great thing. He built a bridge between Turkey and Israel, and our leaders can learn a lot from him… I may have missed the summit, but I gained a new brother. Who knows, maybe one day we’ll climb the Everest together.”

Ben Yehuda held up his white-bandaged right hand to the TV camera — “my boxing glove,” he called it — and said he had frostbite in four of his fingers, as well as in two toes, and that he had a certain loss of sensation in his left-hand. “They don’t quite know what to do about (my injuries)” in Nepal, he said. “I think I’ll do most of my treatment back home (in Israel).”

Asked if he still hoped to scale Everest, he said, “I do want to see the view from the top.”

Ben Yehuda said on Monday that he assisted two other climbers in the course of his attempted ascent — a Briton and a Georgian.

Four climbers lost their lives on Everest at the weekend, and Ben Yehuda said his route was “strewn with bodies.”


About Don Schmidt

Beginning in the fall of 2009, Don was VP of Operations & Director of Student Life for 2 years at Williamson Christian College in Franklin, TN - a wonderful, accredited 4 year college for adult learners. That is where he started writing the devotionals. The passion of his heart is to love God and to help others learn to love God more and more. He grew up in St. Joseph, MI - Class of '66. Graduated from Michigan State in '70 and Wheaton Grad School in '78. Thunderous conversion October 11, 1968. He and Donna were engaged 2 hrs & 15 minutes after they met August 25, 1969 at a Christian camp in Georgia. They married in '70 and have 4 wonderful sons. Most of his adult career has been in business in NE Ohio. They lived for 20 years in Peninsula, OH. They attended St. Luke's Ministries (Anglican) in Copley, OH for many years. Six years ago they were reassigned by the Lord to attend River of Life Community Church in Hudson, OH. St. Luke's prayerfully sent them off on this new adventure with much love.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Saturday May 26 – Wonderful Rescue

  1. Donna Schmidt says:

    A modern day Good Samaritan
    I am so proud of him!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s