From the book of Proverbs
Yesterday I wrote about the privilege of being God’s people. We Christians must live lives that declare us to truly be His people. In simple terms, the issue is not God’s love for us but our love for Him. He loves us more than we can imagine. He has given us everything so that we can experience the extraordinary blessings associated with loving Him.
How we live truly affects our relationship with God. When we walk in righteousness. He responds! But I want to personalize this in an important way. Yahweh is the name our God chose for Himself*. Yahweh is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. When we talk about God, He is the one we are talking about. Here are some excerpts from Proverbs that describe the blessings he has for His people who walk in His ways:
- Yahweh is pleased with the prayer of the righteous.
- Yahweh loves those who pursue righteousness.
- Yahweh is pleased with the thoughts of the pure.
- Yahweh hears the prayers of the righteous.
- Yahweh is a shield to those whose walk is blameless.
- Yahweh guards the course of the just.
- Yahweh protects the way of His faithful ones.
- Yahweh takes the upright into His confidence.
- Yahweh blesses the home of the righteous.
- Yahweh gives grace to the humble.
- Yahweh loves those who love Him.
- Yahweh provides favor to the good man.
- Yahweh delights in the men who are truthful.
- Yahweh provides peace to the man whose ways are pleasing to Him.
- Yahweh blesses those who trust in Him.
- Yahweh provides life, prosperity and honor to those who pursue righteousness and love.
- Yahweh blesses the man who always fears Him.
- Yahweh enables men who seek Him to understand justice.
- Yahweh keeps safe those who trust in Him.
Think of it! Every one of us is capable of walking in each of these – growing stronger and more Christlike! Think of each of these as a continuum. The more we pursue our Lord, the more Christ-like we become. This is not about earning salvation but about living a faith-filled life that pleases Him – a life that declares His praises.
When we pursue living our lives as His people, His Spirit works an incredible wonder within us. Our desire is transformed from wanting to be blessed by God to wanting to bless Him. That is the result of our hearts being overwhelmed by gratitude for His goodness and love. Let it sink in, to the depth of your being – He has chosen us to be His! WOW!!!!!
*Note: A wonderful book is “Who changed God’s Name” by Dr. Jim Harvey